Hi fellow visitor! I am Emanuel Calvo, an IT professional focused on DataBase Operations at scale and currently working with Open Source technologies.
Mastered the Art of doing changes in production cool as a cucumber, probably I can be considered at least a Senior shit or something – it might be one of the reasons they offer me money for.
For professional contact, you can send a contact request or message through my LinkedIn Profile or email me at 3manuek [at] 3manuek [dot] com.
As a previous and totally unrelated experience, I worked as Officer and had quit as Adjutor Principal after 8 years of serving, at the Federal Penitentiary Argentinian Force. I had being in charge in several institutions from medium to high security and instructor.
July 2nd, 2013: AWS - Postgres in AWS PostgreSQL running over EC2 instances with EBS/PIOPS storage. Minimum architecture, tips and advises.
PostgreSQL 9.4 Associate Certification,
DataScience Specialization, Coursera (80% completed):
- R programming
- Getting and Cleaning Data
- Exploratory Analysis
- Reproducible Research
- Statistical inference
- Regression Models
- ESBA - Developer Analyst
Ongres Inc. (ex 8kdata) - Professional Services TechLead
Remote. New York/Madrid Since September 2017 as OnGres, previously working as Consultant in 8kdata
Architecture, Infrastructure and Database expert. Concerned in all the aspects and components in a Data Stack, in high end/traffic customers and platforms.
Database and SRE for fancy companies like Gitlab, BBM (Blackberry), Conrad Electronics and Postmates.
- BBM (Blackberry - Emtek - Google Cloud): Live migration from Oracle to full Patroni automated cluster, from a premise based environment to Google Cloud. PgBouncer-Consul-Postgres
- Conrad (Google Cloud Partner): Full implementation of Patroni HA using etcd as consensus cluster, Load Balancing through Google iLB with API configuration with Patroni, and PgBouncer.
- GitLab as part of the Database Reliability Team.
- Postmates: Patroni Mult-project Terraform implementation
- Postgres vs MongoDB
10k U$Sautomated benchmark, IaaC (Hashicorp echosystem, AWS provider based).
- Google Cloud as Partner.
- Infra and CD/CI: HCL (Terraform, Packer), Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker.
- Databases: Postgres (and extensions), MySQL, Oracle (to migrate out wink, wink)
- Languages: Python, Golang, bash
- Main Cloud Providers: Google Cloud, AWS
Ayres.io - Root and Data Engineer
El Rio de la Plata, Argentina September, 2016 - Current
Ayres is an analytics company, working on custom targeted problems of certain complexity. We do all in cloud, high privacy, company as a code.
Customers: iMedicare, Eloquentix.
- Databases: ELK, ClickHouse, Redshift, Postgres (for analytics)
- Languages: Python, R and Golang
Percona - Senior Technical Services Engineer [main position]
Buenos Aires, Argentina August 2016 - September 2017
Full description of the role here.
Remote DBA for MySQL and forks around several customers (Team Atlas).
Some highlighted customers: Hyperwallet, Fitbit, Lookout, Shipwire
8kData - Data External Advisor
Madrid, Spain January 2016 - September 2017
External technical advisor and consultant for Postgres and other related technologies.
UDE - Open Source Source Undergraduate Degree Associate Professor
La Plata, Argentina June 2016
Open Source Source Undergraduate Degree Associate Professor, PostgreSQL Database specialist.
Pythian - Technical Lead - ACTG (Advanced Consulting Team Group) Member
Ottawa, Canada January 2015 - June 2016
- Support to Pythian’s External Profile.
- Member of the Advanced Consulting Team Group (PostgreSQL).
- Other Technologies: MySQL/MariaDB, xtraDB, Galera, Docker, Ansible, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Vertica, Oracle.
- Part of the ACTG for PostgreSQL implementations, solutions and architecture.
- Lead Database Consultant T73
Some highlighted customers: Microsoft, Beats (Apple), Adobe Echosign, Fitbit, Sendgrid, Mozilla Foundation, Zendesk, SendGrid.
2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Consultant
Buenos Aires, Argentina February 2014 - January 2015
- PostgreSQL consultant, support and training.
- Testing new features, debugging and code review.
BlackBird IT (ex-PalominoDB) - Database Operations - Professional Services
Las Vegas, NV September 2011 - February 2014
- Primary DBA/Teach Lead of the PostgresXC databases.
- MySQL-and-forks/PostgreSQL-and-Forks administration over several customers.
- Considerable amount of experience running DDL/Query/Capacity/Server Reviews.
- Technical writer (site is under “pythian.com”): http://www.palominodb.com/category/postgres
- Backups, Replication, HA, Monitoring, Trending, Health Reviews, DDL Reviews, percona toolkits and several Postgres tools.
- Some other databases that I’m currently working with: MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis.
- AWS experience. EC2, RDS, S3, LB, EBS, Redshift, DynamoDB, AWS API.
- Open Stack Cloud experience.
- Extensive experience on server reviews, workload tracing and SQL rewriting and tuning.
- Scripting/development: Python, Perl , PL/pgsql and bash. In reverse order.
Some of the highlighted customers: Adobe Echosign, Fitbit, Zendesk, Chegg, SendGrid
Aedgency - MySQL/Oracle DBA
Barcelona, Spain November 2010 - March 2012
- MySQL/Oracle database administration.
- Query tuning and performance.
- ETL integration between databases.
- PL/SQL development.
- Bash scripting.
- Sphinx basic configuration, fixing and monitoring.
SIU - DBA & Database Production Consulting
Buenos Aires, Argentina July 2009 - July 2010
- Provided traning and support to national universities (as UNLP, UNC, UNNE, UNNOBA, UNCU, UNPA, UNR, etc), support developers in DB modeling and administration of Postgresql-Informix-Mysql databases.
- Data Architect tasks and server revisions. Planning migrations and future strategies to board new releases.
- Coordinated teams for database support to enhance the compliant between apps of SIU.
- Developing the production and pre-prod following plan for all the SIU apps. Server metrics and other stuff for high performance servers.
Globant - SysAdmin Linux - EA
Buenos Aires, Argentina February 2009 - July 2009
- SysAdmin Unix at EA (Electronic Arts) Hydra - GOP project.
- Maintained platform consisted in Oracle database 10, Apaches and Tomcats (VAP, VCM) Clustered, with several stages of deploy.
- Main tasks were relate to deploys, environment configuration, VMWare Infraestructure Client maintenance and monitoring.
- I did Mysql DBA tasks on Prod, Pre-Production and Development Servers for a Forums project. Fixing some character set problems and DDL, backups, restores, check, performance and others.
- Basic knowledge on deployment / process with Maven - Ant - Hudson.
- Assigned 50% to another project to provide Engineering Support at EA over Python scripting.
Correo Argentino - SysAdmin senior Linux and PostgreSQL
Monte Grande, Argentina August 2008 - February 2009
- I managed production platform at Correo Argentino (over 400 terms with local databases and Linux enviroment).
- Some machines was enlaced with a AD throw WinBind.
- Created an improved deploy tool for scripts, database recovery, control and monitoring, etc.
- Also managed servers over Centos 5 for the support area’s knowledge-base application (7 DB MySQL 5.1)
Siemens - PHP developer
Monte Grande, Argentina January - August 2008
Huenei - Application Support
Monte Grande , Argentina October 2007 - January 2008
- Terminal administration in W/NT and 2K remote servers. Configuration, control, monitoring. Attend Remedy tickets for fix problems and others.
- The application was in Paradox and Oracle databases, in which my tasks consisted in repair tables, fix some wrong data and others.
- Bug reporting and detection.
- MOSAIC debugging and support.
- Customer Correo Argentino / Siemens.
As a consultant, I provided independent database consulting services for the following companies (in non-particular order). Thanks to every customer that trusted in me!
- iMedicare (USA)
- Eloquentix (USA)
- Ericsson/EDB (USA)
- Pic-pic (USA)
- PFA (Argentina)
- Autofarma (Arg)
- VSTour (Arg)
- Jampp (Arg/USA)
- Cyclelogic (Arg)
- Avalon Informática (Madrid)
- Init (País Vasco)
- Scienza (Argentina)
- Syscope (Argentina)
- Mexane (Argentina)
- Contenta Mobile (Argentina)
- Slots Machines (San Luis, Argentina)
- TreeLogic (Asturias)
- BTS (Usa - Zaragoza)
- LCRCOM.net (Madrid)
- Pampa Business Solutions - Telecentro (Argentina)
- Sindicato de Pasteleros y afines (Arg)
- 8kdata (Spain, Madrid)