Hi fellow visitor! I am Emanuel Calvo, a DataBase Reliability Engineer (DBRE) and Data Ops at large scale.
Mastered the Art of doing changes in production cool as a cucumber, probably I can be considered at least a Senior shit or something – it might be one of the reasons they offer me money for.
I design relieable and scalable ready-for-production Database infrastructures for some top-noch companies, based on Open Source Technologies from the ground up. That is, from coding the provisioning and deploy, components integrated in a Continuous Deployment (with Canary support, eg), to highly tweaked environments for performance and complex setups.
Other things that I love to do:
- I’m an experienced hydroponics micro-grower; DWC and NFT are my favorites and I do have both implemented.
- I’m an amateur musician, the typical string set plus some keyboards. Drawing is also a hobby.
- Love reading, particularly around polithical, econocomics and social affairs. An active Libertarian, but working on the basement :)
For professional contact, you can send a contact request or message through my LinkedIn Profile or email me at 3manuek [at] 3manuek [dot] com.
As a previous and unrelated experience, I worked as Officer and had quit as Adjutor Principal after 8 years of serving, at Argentina’s Federal Bureau of Prisons (Servicio Penitenciario Federal). I had been in charge of assigned groups at several institutions from medium to high security. I cooperated in the design of some of the security and emergency procedures and designed the operations and personnel capacitation. In the early days of my career, on the External Security Officer role, I managed the weapon capacity and storage of the shifts. I also conducted sanction procedures and crime investigations in several of those establishments. I must highlight that it is not possible to go any further whether you want to change things for good; there will be always someone on top of you trying to keep his/her power. And that was one of the reasons why I quit.
July 2nd, 2013: AWS - Postgres in AWS PostgreSQL running over EC2 instances with EBS/PIOPS storage. Minimum architecture, tips and advises.
PostgreSQL 9.4 Associate Certification,
DataScience Specialization, Coursera (80% completed):
- R programming
- Getting and Cleaning Data
- Exploratory Analysis
- Reproducible Research
- Statistical inference
- Regression Models
- ESBA - Developer Analyst
Ongres Inc. (ex 8kdata) - Professional Services TechLead / DBRE
Remote. New York/Madrid Since September 2017 as OnGres, previously working as Consultant in 8kdata
At OnGres, I’m currently working on Architecture, Reliabiliy and Infrastructure of our customers’ production Databases. In that list, we can name a companies like Gitlab, BBM (Blackberry), Conrad Electronics, ARM and Postmates I practice a wide approach on all the Data Stack component’s aspects, such as Performance, Scalability and Reliability.
- BBM (Blackberry - Emtek - Google Cloud): Live migration from Oracle to full Patroni automated cluster, from a premise based environment to Google Cloud. PgBouncer-Consul-Postgres
- Conrad (Google Cloud Partner): Full implementation of Patroni HA using etcd as consensus cluster, Load Balancing through Google iLB with API configuration with Patroni, and PgBouncer.
- GitLab as part of the Database Reliability Team.
- Postmates: Patroni Mult-project Terraform implementation
- Postgres vs MongoDB
10k U$Sautomated benchmark, IaaC (Hashicorp echosystem, AWS provider based).
- Google Cloud as Partner.
- Infra and CD/CI: HCL (Terraform, Packer), Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker.
- Databases: Postgres (and extensions), MySQL, Oracle (to migrate out wink, wink)
- Languages: Python, Golang, bash
- Main Cloud Providers: Google Cloud, AWS
Ayres.io - Root and Data Engineer
El Rio de la Plata, Argentina September, 2016 - Current
Ayres is an analytics company, working on custom targeted problems of certain complexity. We do all in cloud, high privacy, company as a code.
Customers: iMedicare, Eloquentix.
- Databases: ELK, ClickHouse, Redshift, Postgres (for analytics)
- Languages: Python, R and Golang
Percona - Senior Technical Services Engineer [main position]
Buenos Aires, Argentina August 2016 - September 2017
Full description of the role here.
Remote DBA for MySQL and forks around several customers (Team Atlas).
Some highlighted customers: Hyperwallet, Fitbit, Lookout, Shipwire
8kData - Data External Advisor
Madrid, Spain January 2016 - September 2017
External technical advisor and consultant for Postgres and other related technologies.
UDE - Open Source Source Undergraduate Degree Associate Professor
La Plata, Argentina June 2016
Open Source Source Undergraduate Degree Associate Professor, PostgreSQL Database specialist.
Pythian - Technical Lead - ACTG (Advanced Consulting Team Group) Member
Ottawa, Canada January 2015 - June 2016
- Support to Pythian’s External Profile.
- Member of the Advanced Consulting Team Group (PostgreSQL).
- Other Technologies: MySQL/MariaDB, xtraDB, Galera, Docker, Ansible, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Vertica, Oracle.
- Part of the ACTG for PostgreSQL implementations, solutions and architecture.
- Lead Database Consultant T73
Some highlighted customers: Microsoft, Beats (Apple), Adobe Echosign, Fitbit, Sendgrid, Mozilla Foundation, Zendesk, SendGrid.
2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Consultant
Buenos Aires, Argentina February 2014 - January 2015
- PostgreSQL consultant, support and training.
- Testing new features, debugging and code review.
BlackBird IT (ex-PalominoDB) - Database Operations - Professional Services
Las Vegas, NV September 2011 - February 2014
- Primary DBA/Teach Lead of the PostgresXC databases.
- MySQL-and-forks/PostgreSQL-and-Forks administration over several customers.
- Considerable amount of experience running DDL/Query/Capacity/Server Reviews.
- Technical writer (site is under “pythian.com”): http://www.palominodb.com/category/postgres
- Backups, Replication, HA, Monitoring, Trending, Health Reviews, DDL Reviews, percona toolkits and several Postgres tools.
- Some other databases that I’m currently working with: MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis.
- AWS experience. EC2, RDS, S3, LB, EBS, Redshift, DynamoDB, AWS API.
- Open Stack Cloud experience.
- Extensive experience on server reviews, workload tracing and SQL rewriting and tuning.
- Scripting/development: Python, Perl , PL/pgsql and bash. In reverse order.
Some of the highlighted customers: Adobe Echosign, Fitbit, Zendesk, Chegg, SendGrid
Aedgency - MySQL/Oracle DBA
Barcelona, Spain November 2010 - March 2012
- MySQL/Oracle database administration.
- Query tuning and performance.
- ETL integration between databases.
- PL/SQL development.
- Bash scripting.
- Sphinx basic configuration, fixing and monitoring.
SIU - DBA & Database Production Consulting
Buenos Aires, Argentina July 2009 - July 2010
- Provided traning and support to national universities (as UNLP, UNC, UNNE, UNNOBA, UNCU, UNPA, UNR, etc), support developers in DB modeling and administration of Postgresql-Informix-Mysql databases.
- Data Architect tasks and server revisions. Planning migrations and future strategies to board new releases.
- Coordinated teams for database support to enhance the compliant between apps of SIU.
- Developing the production and pre-prod following plan for all the SIU apps. Server metrics and other stuff for high performance servers.
Globant - SysAdmin Linux - EA
Buenos Aires, Argentina February 2009 - July 2009
- SysAdmin Unix at EA (Electronic Arts) Hydra - GOP project.
- Maintained platform consisted in Oracle database 10, Apaches and Tomcats (VAP, VCM) Clustered, with several stages of deploy.
- Main tasks were relate to deploys, environment configuration, VMWare Infraestructure Client maintenance and monitoring.
- I did Mysql DBA tasks on Prod, Pre-Production and Development Servers for a Forums project. Fixing some character set problems and DDL, backups, restores, check, performance and others.
- Basic knowledge on deployment / process with Maven - Ant - Hudson.
- Assigned 50% to another project to provide Engineering Support at EA over Python scripting.
Correo Argentino - SysAdmin senior Linux and PostgreSQL
Monte Grande, Argentina August 2008 - February 2009
- I managed production platform at Correo Argentino (over 400 terms with local databases and Linux enviroment).
- Some machines was enlaced with a AD throw WinBind.
- Created an improved deploy tool for scripts, database recovery, control and monitoring, etc.
- Also managed servers over Centos 5 for the support area’s knowledge-base application (7 DB MySQL 5.1)
Siemens - PHP developer
Monte Grande, Argentina January - August 2008
Huenei - Application Support
Monte Grande , Argentina October 2007 - January 2008
- Terminal administration in W/NT and 2K remote servers. Configuration, control, monitoring. Attend Remedy tickets for fix problems and others.
- The application was in Paradox and Oracle databases, in which my tasks consisted in repair tables, fix some wrong data and others.
- Bug reporting and detection.
- MOSAIC debugging and support.
- Customer Correo Argentino / Siemens.
As a consultant, I provided independent database consulting services for the following companies (in non-particular order). Thanks to every customer that trusted in me!
- iMedicare (USA)
- Eloquentix (USA)
- Ericsson/EDB (USA)
- Pic-pic (USA)
- PFA (Argentina)
- Autofarma (Arg)
- VSTour (Arg)
- Jampp (Arg/USA)
- Cyclelogic (Arg)
- Avalon Informática (Madrid)
- Init (País Vasco)
- Scienza (Argentina)
- Syscope (Argentina)
- Mexane (Argentina)
- Contenta Mobile (Argentina)
- Slots Machines (San Luis, Argentina)
- TreeLogic (Asturias)
- BTS (Usa - Zaragoza)
- LCRCOM.net (Madrid)
- Pampa Business Solutions - Telecentro (Argentina)
- Sindicato de Pasteleros y afines (Arg)
- 8kdata (Spain, Madrid)